International Call for Projects M-ERA.NET
CALL FOR PROJECTS – M-ERA.NET CALL 2020
FINANCEMENT DE LA RECHERCHE COLLABORATIVE INTERNATIONALE DANS LE DOMAINE DES MATÉRIAUX AVANCÉS
The M-ERA.NET network is funded by the European Union. Launched through FP7 in 2012, the network will pursue its activities under the Horizon 2020 program between 2016 and 2021. It was created to support and strengthen coordination for European research and innovation programs, along with all related materials science and engineering funding. M-ERA.NET includes 43 public funding agencies from 32 European and non-European countries (https://m-era.net/about/consortium). M-ERA.NET seeks to address societal challenges and technological needs through an interdisciplinary approach, providing a flexible umbrella structure that covers new themes in materials research and innovation, including materials for low-carbon technologies and related production technologies. Its main activities involve the launch of a series of joint calls for transnational R&D projects. These calls provide the European R&D community with a chance to access coordinated funding across Europe, along with premium information from around the world.
In an effort to support collaborative research and development (R&D) in advanced materials, PRIMA Québec is launching a new international call for projects under PSO-International. PSO-International helps support international activities conducted by Quebec universities, colleges, institutions and industries working in various research and innovation niches. For this purpose, the Ministère de l’Économie et de l’Innovation (MEI) supports the participation of PRIMA Québec in the 2020 M-ERA-NET call for projects. Under this call, 28 funding agencies from over 22 European and non-European countries will be participating with a preliminary budget of roughly €20 million. Advanced materials involve any new or significantly improved material that provides a considerable performance advantage (physical or functional) over conventional materials.
In accordance with its strategic plan, PRIMA Québec seeks to promote the submission of projects intended to develop advanced materials for use in key sectors across Quebec, such as transportation and infrastructure, energy, the environment, textiles, electronics and health. The call targets technologies in all areas of application (see the M-ERA.NET guide for more details)
- Modelling for engineering and materials processing
- Innovative surfaces, coatings and interfaces
- High performance composites
- Functional materials
- New strategies for advanced material-based technologies in health applications
- Materials for additive manufacturing
The pre-proposal submission deadline will be June 16, 2020 (6:00 a.m. Montreal time, 12 p.m. Brussels time).
MAIN ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The list above includes the main criteria, all of which can be found in the guide. The call for projects is funded by PSO-International. Proposals must meet all PRIMA and M-ERA.NET criteria.
- The consortium must include at least 3 partners (all funding applicants) from at least 2 different countries taking part in the 2020 M-ERA.NET call (at least 1 EU Member State or an associated country).
- Technology readiness levels for targeted projects range from 1 to 9 (see the M-ERA.NET guide for subject-specific levels);
- Project applicants may be universities, CCTTs or public research centres;
- Minimum of one company (primarily an SME) with a presence in Quebec (production or R&D);
- Minimum 20% cash contribution from the company;
- Maximum 50% contribution from PRIMA Québec;
- Additional sources will not include MEI or Mitacs funding;
- Maximum 80% public funds;
- Other M-ERA.NET consortium partners must contribute at least 30% of the project’s total cost;
- 5% of all direct research costs and management fees (3% company, 2% MEI);
- Maximum duration of 3 years with a PRIMA contribution of up to $500K, including MEI and IRC management fees.
PRIMA Québec will hold a webinar on April 7, 2020 from 10 am to 11 am. To register click here.
- March 17, 2020: 2019 call launch
- April 7, 2020 : Webinar
- June 16, 2020: Pre-proposals submission deadline
- June 19, 2020: Start of pre-proposal verification by the various national/regional funding agencies
- End of September 2020: Coordination meeting and feedback to candidates
- November 19, 2020: Full proposal submission deadline
- November 23, 2020: Start of full proposal central evaluation
- January 11, 2021: Deadline to submit a copy of the additional funding request
- End of January 2021: Selection meeting – coordination of national/regional funding recommendations for the final selection list
- Early February 2021: Feedback to candidates
- March 2021: Start of contract negotiations for proposals selected at the national/regional levels
- March-April 2021: Start of funded projects
- PRIMA Québec Guidelines
- M-ERA.NET Guidelines (English only)
- PRIMA Québec Application Form
- If you are the main project coordinator, consult the M-ERA-NET website for the M-ERA.NET forms.
For eligibility criteria or to discuss your innovation project, contact: Michel Lefèvre Director – Programs & International Collaborations 514 284-0211 ext. 227